Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Storybook inspiration


As I have oft mentioned, I absolutely adore vintage children's illustrations. Some of my favorite Rose Bowl flea market finds included the lovely books below...





These books have already found a happy home snuggled between the stacks of volumes in my cozy studio.


Every now and then, when looking for inspiration, I'll pour over these illustrations whilst sipping on a cuppa something good, warm and sweet.

Little Miss Muffet pictured below was in my head for more than a year (thanks to the brilliant mind of old school animator Ray Harryhausen) before I finally took the time to render her in clay.


I created the tree and "tuffet" (what is that anyway???) out of newspaper which was wrapped in masking tape and covered with handmade paper mache. I then formed the little five petal flowers out of paper clay (using a gum-paste cutter and a paintbrush) and attached them all over the greenery.

Little Miss and her charming spider friend were sculpted from paper clay over foam, wire and wood. The little spoon was made with floral wire covered in paper tape.

Foregoing the usual box, I chose a wooden tray (found at the Goodwill) to paint and polka dot to arrange the scene. I am so happy with the way these guys turned out. I hope you like them too! If you would like to purchase them they'll be on offer at midnight tonight over at PFATT marketplace.
I'll be back on Sunday with a free Valentine's Day card/tag image for your printing pleasure!


6 comments:

Knickertwist said...

So fantastically adorable!

Amber Leilani said...

she is AMAZING!
the detail you get blows my mind!

curlyqmosaics said...

This is absolutely amazing! I am at a loss for words. The detail, the colors, so beautiful. If I had a baby girl, I would buy this for her nursery this second!

Heather said...

I've been a long time fan and lurker, but this one is sooo darling that I had to post! I am smitten!

As a girl with a head of curls myself, I'm wondering how the heck did you manage to make those darling curls on the sweet Little Miss?!

AndreaOcchiNeri said...

Semplicemente meraviglioso !!
symply amazing !!!
your work are incredible

Anonymous said...

Incredible! I love her! Also, your studio is divine!