Monday, October 5, 2009

The residents at Fern Cottage thank you :-)

Thanks to everyone for keeping us in your thoughts this weekend regarding the fire. School was canceled (as they are currently being used as emergency shelter for evacuees) and I have taken the day off from work today, but other than that, thankfully, we have been able to stay put.

I have been following the National Forest's service's Twitter feed. (I love technology).
The high winds have been keeping the helicopters and planes grounded, but I think the cooler temperatures helped, and so far, they have been able to keep the fire from growing worse.

Thank you also for the sweet comments on the house. Below is a picture of it from 1916.
The little girl on the porch was named Fern, and according to our research, grew up in the community and lived here for years. I like to call the house "Fern Cottage" in her honor.

If you compare this photo with the one in the post below, you can see subtle differences in the architecture. I think the gingerbread was changed out 30 years ago, and at some point, someone added an extension to the front parlor. But the fence is still the same. It's a really sweet house to come home to. Thanks again to everyone who has kept it (and us) in your thoughts and prayers.

7 comments:

blushing rose said...

I love the vintage pics. So glad all is safe ... Have a lovely week. TTFN ~Marydon

Prancing Pixie Studio said...

So glad you are still in your sweet little cottage! The air quality must be terrible!! It is strange here sometimes because we can get smoke from fires WAY far away and even ash dropping. I will pray for rain for you!!
Blessings~LillySue

MaygreenFairies said...

Ohhhh I've just read your post and am so glad to read you and your home are all safe and sound. You have such a beautiful home and I LOVE the old photo of it! Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Mandy x

Micah Holden said...

sending blessings and safe protection to you and your neighbors. Thoughts and prayers aplenty! On another note... Your house is JUST a DREAM! I love the historical expression of the house. You can just feel the happy soul of it looking at the pictures. What a place!!

vivian said...

how neat that you have the old picture of your house. we have an old one from about the same time period of ours too.. I should dig it out and post it.. never thought of that before!
I'm glad youve been spared of that fire. how scarey. I cant even begin to imagine. I pray you remain safe where you are also!
Your house is adorable!
hugs
vivian

Nancy said...

So glad you are safe. I can't get over how much your house (and especially the vintage pic of it) look just like a house on Whidbey Island, WA. Almost identical. Wish I had a picture to compare. Anywho..hoping for rain in your area. Take care.
XOXO Nancy

Gerushia's New World said...

I'm very glad to hear that you and your family and home are safe. I know very well how scary forest fires can be. I live in the Souther California desert, and almost every Autumn, we are under a fire alert.

I absolutely adore that you have the history of your home. I collect vintage photos and am always fascinated to see "then and now" photos.

Kim
Gerushia's New World
(Formerly Garden Painter Art)