Thursday, September 3, 2009

Cottage Bathroom redo...

Earlier this year, we tore out a hideous bathroom, complete with peachy floral wallpaper ala' 1982, soggy vinyl covering up rotting pine wood floors, and a tub and toilet that had seen better days.

Since our house was built in 1895, we wanted to do a retro- renovation. So with a small budget and a wonderful contractor: here's the result.....


The renovation started with a tear out of old walls and floors. We replaced them with this octagon and dot porcelain tile pattern, new drywall, and bead board painted a creamy white. The claw foot tub was rescued out of another family's house who were doing a modern renovation. It fits our aesthetic perfectly! The shower curtain came from the Shabby Chic collection at Target. I have had this curtain for a loooong time! I took it with me to the hardware store so that they could match the wall paint perfectly.


The pedestal sink takes up much less room than the old vanity, and the mirror doubles as a medicine cabinet for extra storage.

This little cabinet is one of my favorite flea market finds. I cleaned off the glass (which was grimy and sticky), spray painted her to match the white bead board. I filled it up with antique talc tins, pretty soap boxes, collected seashells and some sweet vintage posies.

Old school photographs of flapper-esque bathing beauties adorn the walls framed up in 2 for $5.00 resin frames. Instead of hanging a window curtain, I installed faux stained glass in an antique pattern with Decra-Led window film and real leading.

Hope you have enjoyed the tour! I'll be back next week with some exciting announcements!!

9 comments:

Jessica said...

It looks gorgeous! Great job. I love the floors!

michelle said...

Well done! So lovely! I bet you just love hanging out in the bathroom now!

Heidi said...

It is so beautiful! I especially love the shelf with all the pretty little things on it. The shower curtain, the wall color and the black and white tile floors are all so well combined. Great job!

50s Pam said...

Looks lovely!

snippetgirl said...

SOOOO adorable!!! Excellent job! I love every bit of your enchanting redo!

TitansFan said...

That's a great bathroom!

I recently started the process of updating mine. I can't believe all that goes into this. One thing that was easy was purchasing a Bath Vanity Cabinet. As far as matching everything to it, that's a whole other story.

laurie -magpie ethel said...

That cabinet is WOW...I would have bought that lickity split! Great clean-up on a grimy piece. Your little bathroom turned out really cute - bet brushing your teeth is way more fun now!

Elma said...

What a beautiful bathroom!!! Love the colors and the shelf with all the treasures in it:) Just perfect!

Manuela@Pleasures of Homemaking said...

I love it! It really turned out so pretty! Love those tiles on the floor and that shower curtain is so cute!

Manuela