Saturday, July 25, 2009

On a sunny Saturday....

I find myself wasting away a gorgeous morning (I should be catching up on housework and laundry after a long workweek and a short trip to L.A.)

Instead I have been lured by the contents of my google reader, the Etsy storque (love the There's no Place Like Here series) and the fabulous resource Archive.org. I wanted to share that last one with you in particular as I sit here typing away while Fats Waller sings to me in that rich, sweet, velvety jazz voice that I adore. Fats Waller was one of the great jazz pianists of the 1920's. Lots of his songs are in the public domain. Take a listen here and if you need a little portable lift, I highly suggest you download and add some of these tracks to your MP3 player....

All that Meat and No Potatoes

A Porter's Love Song to a Chambermaid


Abercrombie had a Zombie

You can save the tracks to your computer by clicking the file; save as; on your browser. Lovely!

(Vintage photo: Picnic on the beach obtained from the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA )

...then whip up some lemonade, wrap up some sandwiches and go enjoy yourself a little picnic in this gorgeous, glorious summer we are so blessed to be enjoying. Happy weekend everyone :-)

2 comments:

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

I am having a giveaway on my blog this weekend for "Christmas in July". Stop by if you like PINK! :)
~Becca~

vivian said...

love the music of Fats waller.. I had heard him before but had fogotten about him. thanks for the reminder! I just uploaded a bunch of pieces to my playlist, they are way down in the big band section though, so youd have to scroll down about 100 songs to get to that section.
hugs
vivian