Friday, July 3, 2009

Crafting before crafting was cool...

Does anyone remember Aleene's Creative Living? Way before the "handmade movement" was mainstream, Aleene's Creative Living was a daily hour long craft show that featured wonderful tutorials and crafty genius guests. They also had a monthly magazine and would come out with varoius crafty books. It was must see TV for me. I had a giant sketch pad, and would watch the show with it and pencil in hand, and draw out my favorite ideas . I believe it was Aleene's that introduced me to polymer clay which got me on the dollmaking path in the late 1990's. I really loved that show! As a stay at home mom at the time, it was just the type of show I needed to help me take a break from exhausting toddler chasing.

(above... one of the Aleene's books... I love crafty recycling!)


Sadly, Aleene's Creative Living went off the air awhile back, and it seems like since then, despite the popularity of crafting in general, other wonderful creative shows like Carol Duvall have also slowly disappeared.
I am happy to report that the ladies of Aleene's are now doing a weekly radio show that can be listened to and even downloaded here... This thrilled me to discover. It was like running into friends you haven't seen in years! I encourage you to give it a listen. The ladies also blog here. I think we need to start some kind of letter writing campaign to the television networks bring craft shows back! What do you think?

6 comments:

LillySue said...

I remember watching her back when we had cable. Too bad the good crafting shows are gone!
Have a wonderful Independence Day!
Blessings~LillySue

Jemjoop said...

Carol Duvall is gone? I remember her when she just did guest spots on morning shows, before she got her own show. We should start writing letters.

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

I remember watching Carol Duvall; she had some neat ideas!
:)
~Becca~

michelle said...

I agree! They don't even show Martha here in Utah. Hope you have a happy fourth!

AwtemNymf said...

I agree with you. Especially since a lot of people are in the Handmade movement these days. And I didn't know that Carol Divall was off the air. I used to watch her! Bummer! We'll have to rally up and get those back on the crafty networks!
Happy 4th!

Tiffany said...

Thank you for the shout out for Inspired at Home Radio. Aleene, Heidi, Candace and I are so excited to be joining together to share our creative insights with you and we're having so much fun! We would love to be the catch-all for a write-in campaign to see craft shows back on-air. A new TV show is definitely our goal. Please feel free to pass this request along that we are gathering emails and we'll do our best to lobby to get crafting back on TV.

Sending you sprinkles of creativity!

Tiffany Windsor
Host, Inspired at Home Radio