Monday, May 11, 2009

Castle in the Air

When arranging the trip to ZNE last week, I made sure to include an extra day to do some local exploring in lovely San Francisco and Berkeley. Our hotel was located pretty close to the end of the B.A.R.T (Bay Area Rapid Transit System) in Pleasanton, so we opted to use it instead of tempting the fate of our rental car in big city traffic.


Of course, having grown up in the suburbs and now residing in small, no public transportation type of town, I was totally geeking out tourist style at the opportunity take this subway- like train. If you live in the area, and saw some goofy redhead taking photos of train signs, yeah, that was me. We only had one day to pack in some long anticipated visits, so off to the station we headed early on Friday. Our first stop was at the North Berkeley station... our destination.... Castle in the Air!!! (I apologize in advance for the blurriness of some of these photos. I was so excited I couldn't hold my camera still. Photos do not do justice to how awesome this store is!)



I am telling you fellow bloggers and friends, that this store was well worth the 30 minute train ride and 10 block walk (through a gorgeous neighborhood....see pic of fairy tale type cottage below found on our 10 block walk). It's absolutely magical.

Those that can't make the trek to the Bay to experience the shop for yourselves can get a sampling of the enchantment by visiting their website here.

I'll be back in a couple of days for part two... The Crown and Crumpet!

8 comments:

snippetgirl said...

oh wow, that shop does look amazing! Castle in the Air...what a fabulous name. Berkeley and San Fran have such wonderful, eclectic, whimsical shops...great inspiration!
Have a great week~~

Claire said...

looks so fun, Jenny!

Heidi said...

My husband has always wanted to take me to San Francisco! After seeing the pictures of the shop and the charming cottage it makes me want to go! Check out my blog for one of me favorite places to go in my area. I hope you had a lovely Mother's Day!

thefabulousfarmhouse said...

I'm glad you had such a great time:) I look forward to seeing more pics, fuzzy or not lol. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and there is no other sound in the world like when the BART train doors close. An odd sound. Odd people there too! We moved to Michigan last year and I am experiencing small town culture shock. Like night and day between here and there....California is a nice place to visit, Berkeley is where my mom grew up. A very unique city.

Amy said...

I love that store!! I don't get over there very often but it is definitely a magical place.

-Amy
(Crafting by Candlelight)

Jennifer said...

Wow! That shop looks so cute! What are those little wooden people called?

michelle said...

We lived in Livermore! Pleasanton's next door neighbor. But you know, the time we lived there was still too short, I could have been happy riding the BART to the city every weekend. That shop looks amazing!

Jennifer and Kim said...

Castles in the Air is absolutely amazing isn't it? I could just look at their website for hours on end. I just got a class schedule in the mail and wish I could take some of them, but when you live in az and don't get out much it makes it kind of difficult. Glad you had a great time.
~Jennifer