Thursday, February 19, 2009

One cozy cubicle

In my former job, I had the pleasure (and the curse) of working from home. In many ways, it was fabulous because I am a big ole' homebody and am quite happy with a quilt, a cup of coffee and a lap top to pound away on while big snowflakes sashay past my office window. Bad because, when you work from home......you are always at work.

The new position has afforded me a new type of work environment.. the much maligned cubicle. In order to make my cube a bit more like home sweet home, I added few whimsical touches...

Papa Smurf keeps me and my monitor company. The photo sitting next to the keyboard is of me and my best friend Charlie, taken when I was about 4 years old. You can't tell from this angle, but I have a maniacal grin on my face, probably delighted that I roped him into yet another tea party. Poor boy....

Photos of family in Black and White, quirky circa 1950 ornaments, Valentines (thank you Alba!), and Jenny Holiday cupcake, and a lovely handmade blue bird plaque created by my immensely talented neighbor, decorate the pin boards.


A vintage head planter (otherwise known as "the boyfriend") holds pens, pencils, highlighters and the like.

My other "boyfriend"..... a cookie jar (husband broke the lid in a frantic cookie excavation) holds the requisite office plant. We joke that these two boyfriends get into fights at night.... hey Pixar... how about a movie with office staples that talk and do the real work at night, ala shoemakers' elves???

Bailey's happy winky face cups and a vintage tin recipe file are creative containers for office essentials like push pins, paper clips and business cards.
Where books and binders should go is a sweet vignette.


I choose some of my favorite vintage linens to hide the dreary gray of walls and file cabinet.


Finally, the most charming vintage lamp found on eBay, repainted and with a new shade. This is the world's cutest lap... you wind up the kitty and the little girl in the rocking chair rocks back and forth...


This is what I have done so far, but am on the prowl for some more art to hang. I love the charm of paintings like these by Mystele.

Not quite home sweet home but it's a start. Thank for taking the tour!

16 comments:

Heidi said...

How adorable you've made your cubicle! I especially love the cookie jar turned planter!

Lori said...

that looks cute Jenny...you have really personalized an otherwise cookie cutter space into something that is all YOU:)

Crystal said...

These are all adorable! I would love working in your cubicle!

Jenny S said...

I love it, but my hubby's office would balk at even the pictures of family in a cubicle!! stinky CEO's!!

vivian said...

I should take pictures and post of my little office space at work too! I am a firm believer that If I have to be there everyday, that I have to feel like I'm at home! I love my office space and dont mind going to work at all.. most of the time!
YOur space looks great! that little lamp is adorable! and I love the boyfriend planter!! so where do you work and what do you do??
hugs
vivian

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Cute Jen! Not a pixie in sight?

snippetgirl said...

No doubt that you have the brightest, quirkiest, most fun spot in the office :)! I love it. They should be very grateful that you have infused your whimsy into their environment.
xoxo

deb said...

That is THE cutest cubicle I've ever seen. I adore the vintage lamp.

Jemjoop said...

You're right that's the cutest lamp, ever.

Does anybody have a red stapler like that cubicle guy in Office Space?

Sugar Bowl Santa arrived today and I am in love with him. Your cards were adorable too. Thank you ♥

Jen

laurie - magpie ethel said...

Love the cubicle and how you gave it so much personality. I would definitely be a better worker bee in a spot like that.

Vintage by Crystal said...

Oh my gosh! I didn't know those grey cubicles could look so adorable!! I LOVE your blonde boyfriend and am really attempted to woo him away from you! ;) I can't wait to see what else you add!

Mica said...

Now that is one cozy cubicle....What do your co-workers think ??? I would do the same if I had a grey job to go to. I love what you did with the place !! Hugs, Mica

Dinnie Wrinkles Design said...

I love your cubicle! When I had a cubicle I had to personalize..1st thing! and whew! my boss liked it so I got to keep it that way. I have that little smurf tune in my head! :)

LindaJ said...

I had to smile when I saw your cubicle. I have plastered the gray fabric walls of my cube with pictures of gardens and flowers. Can't tell what I would rather be doing. I may have to spruce it all up after seeing yours. We can put up personal things but no one else has except for family pics. I would go nuts if gray was all I could see all day. Thanks for the inspiration!

Garden Painter Art said...

What a fabulous way to cut the gray! I worked in several offices straight out of high school, and I loathed that hideous gray color.

You've truly made lemonade out of lemons.

I especially love the little funny face cups!

Kim
Garden Painter Art

Bellamere Cottage said...

I love this! What a happy little space you've created for yourself. So much nicer than being in the beige box.....we all need something to make us smile and don't you think you're cheerful environment makes you more productive?

Good for you and Happy Monday!

Cheers....
Spencer