Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hello Little Red....



One of everybody's favorite fairy tale heroines, here's my version in paper clay!


I have been wanting to make a "Little Red" for so long. I was so excited when I finished her late this afternoon I didn't even let the glue dry on the forget me nots before I started snapping photos.


"Little Red" has hands, legs and head sculpted from paper clay. She is in miniature doll house scale, measuring only 5 inches tall (6.5 if you add the box). Her body is a wire armature that was wrapped with wool felt. A variety of vintage and new fabrics were used to create her dress and her famous cape (I am really loving my new scalloped pinking sheers!). The yellow button fastening the cape to her neck was also made from paper clay. I couldn't find a mini basket for her so I made one out of brown scrapbook paper. And of course she has to carry some sweet millinery forget me nots for grandma!
"Little Red" Stands upon a painted paper mache box that was lightly sugared with German Glass Glitter. She is second in a series of storybook dolls that I am creating for PFATT each month. She'll be available for sale (usually by midnight) on the 10th. I hope you like her as much as I loved making her!!! I can't wait to start working on next month's storybook inspired sweetie. In honor of Spring, I think I'll create a Little Bo Peep. What are some of your favorite fairy tales and Nursery Rhymes?

21 comments:

Jemjoop said...

Little Red is beautiful! Love her stripey socks.
Jen

Kewpie said...

gorgeous,, I love her :)

jillian said...

Little red is Adorable! Can't wait to see Little Bo Peep.
Hmmm...one of my favorites is Alice in Wonderland. Or, what about Jack & Jill for a nursery rhyme?
XOXO
Jillian

vivian said...

Jenny, she is so perfectly sweet. I like when we dont have something we think we need, like the little basket, and we are force to be creative and come up with something else. I think the paper basket is perfect for the paperclay doll! YOu know youre one of my idols, I dont even have to tell you how much I love her! but I will.... I love her!
have a sweet and blessed sunday! I've got to go work on some eastery things now!
hugs
vivian

snippetgirl said...

I just ADORE your work!! You commented on one of my flickr photos, and i am SO glad because it led me to you. I am thrilled to find another paperclay, fairytale figure artist...so fun! Your work is simply yummy and squeal worthy :).
xoxo
Carrie the SnipPet Girl

Beth Quinn said...

ohhhh i love love her jenny !!! so fun and sweet !! just perfect !
xo,
beth

michelle said...

I am really loving this fairy tale thing you have going! She is just wonderful!

Victorian Lady said...

She's a cutie! :) How cool that her body is wool! :) Can't wait to see little bo peep!

I finally finished a mummy love girl in paperclay that I started back in October...I'll post it soon. I just wanted to say thank you for posting that tutorial on armatures you did a while back...I didn't even know what paperclay was then...but I can't live without it now! :)

Hugs!

Mere

P.S. I'm keeping your Santa out all year...he is TOO CUTE to put away!

laurie - magpie ethel said...

Adorable with a capital "A". Totally brought a smile to my face when I saw her. Looking forward to Little Bo Peep!

albasworld said...

Hi Jenny!

She is darling! One of my favorite stories was the little match girl. A very sad story which always made me feel grateful to have so much more than I thought I had. Keep up the good work and hope you have a great week!

Hugs, alba

Lori said...

Jenny, she is adorable!!!

Marie Patterson Studio said...

She's just so adorable!

Tumble Fish Studio said...

This is so charming and precious. Your abilities overwhelm me!
marsha

Melony at Whimsy Daisy! said...

I've never seen anything like her! She is just precious and seems to leap off the computer screen. You are so very creative!

Melissa said...

Ah, she's so sweet!
Smiles-
Melissa

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

She is so pretty...m.

Lisa Gatz said...

She's darling! I'll come back to see your next creations.

AwtemNymf said...

Awwww- she's adorable!!! Can't wait to see your series! :O)

adlibby said...

that's adorable! I love her!

The TinCan Cottage said...

Wow You Are So Talented! Red Riding Hood would have to be My Fav...but Second would be the little girl in the Big Bad Wolf! The Snarling Wolf would be Fun To See What You Do With Him Dressed in Grandmas Cape. Thanx for sharing your art!

fairychildheirlooms said...

love it! she is sooo adorable!
:) Missy