Sunday, January 25, 2009

Folk Art Storybook dolls of the month

I was delighted to come across this wonderful vintage book in the second hand bookshop:


Written by the late great dollmaker Edith Flack Ackley (see more about this wonderful dollmaker here), I found the book to be a throughly enjoyable read, and although written in 1941, full of ideas and advice that a perfectly applicable today.

Of course, a brick and mortar doll shop of my own wouldn't be practical for me, but the book inspired me to dedicate the next 12 months of my PFATT listings to the idea of reinterpreting my favorite storybook characters with cloth and clay. For my first month's storybook offering, and in anticipation of Valentine's day, I present to you... The Queen of Hearts.


This sweetie sold on the day she was released (PFATT listings update at midnight on the 10th of every month). But I have some ideas for next month that have my heart pounding....

here's a hint:


I came across this book in an antique store and immediately recognized it as one that I had owned as a kid. I was always fascinated with the three d like quality of the illustrations. I can't wait to make my own version of Lil' Red for next month's PFATT.


And finally, once again I must apologize for such long absences in posting and commenting on your blogs. I started the new job a few weeks ago and I am still struggling with adjusting to the increased hours and new schedule. I have also made the resolution to, like Oprah, put my health back on my schedule, and have started jogging again regularly for the 1st time since this past summer. I am following the Couch Potato to 5K model and hope to be in mini marathon shape by the big 36th birthday in April. Who is with me?! :-D

Thanks for hanging in here with me :-) ((((hugs)))))

10 comments:

albasworld said...

Jenny, so happy to see you blogging again! Your queen of hearts is darling and can't wait to see red riding hood.

I send you my best wishes for a "back to health" year - I know you can do it! Take care and hope you have a great week and hope to see some new creations soon.

Hugs & smiles, alba

sheila said...

She is just adorable!

Heidi said...

That is such a beautiful queen of hearts! Its no surprise she sold right away!

elma said...

Oh the queen of hearts is soooo cute. Will you have any more of her? elma2179@yahoo.com

AwtemNymf said...

awwww- your Queen of <3's is adorable! Good to see you posting again!
I've been wondering how you are!
Hugs!

michelle said...

I love your idea for the twelve months, love the queen of hearts and your wonderful books. I remember that little red book too. I am so with you on getting my big butt moving again too!

Lori said...

Jenny, how nice to hear from you:) i love your queen of hearts, she is precious!!! i can't wait to see your red riding hood...i made one of those a while back and she is one of my favorite things that i have ever made...i was not as fond of her during construction...i had to roll out paper thin layers of celluclay to assemble her outfit...what a pain...it kept falling apart because it was so fragile...she was worth it in the end though...i couldn't part with her and she keeps me company in the kitchen:)

vivian said...

oh so reluctantly... I like to eat cookies...and cakes... and candy and pop.. adn breads... but I did just get a treadmill yesterday.. I walked for 10 minutes! then I played on the computer.. but starting tomorrow.. I'm on it daily!!!!!!

Tumble Fish Studio said...

I had this book too! And some others it seems like but I can't remember which ones now. They were kind of 3-dish if I remember right. Can't wait to see what you make of it!
marsha

Trinity said...

Oh how I loves these books as a child! I can also remember the Hansel & Gretel one! Thank you for sharing this!