Saturday, November 15, 2008

This holiday season.....


I have made a personal pledge this year for gift giving. Handmade (meaning made by another Artisan), Homemade(made by yours truly) or Vintage ..... (and cash for the teen set, the 15 year olds in my life just don't appreciate vintage hand crocheted potholders, for some reason).
Here's my why...

1. The Economy: I have grown so tired of the talking heads on T.V. blathering on about how bad the financial crisis is, I have decided to turn it off altogether. I am not sticking my head in the sand, but I am not letting any more negativity into this house which is my family's sanctuary. Everything happens in cycles, things are going to get better, Call me an optimist, but what else can you expect from a doll maker who pours her salt and pepper out of a pair of angry grapefruits.
2. Artists and vintage vendors need our support: So buy handmade. You will not regret this. Everything I have ever purchased from an artist has arrived beautifully packaged, with a sweet note thanking me for my business, and it makes me smile every time I look at it....triggers a happy memory. You can't get that kind of service from a big box retailer.
3. The Globe:Handmade goods are typically produced in a fashion that has little environmental impact. In fact, many artists recycle goods to create their fabulous wares. And purchasing vintage is the ultimate in recycling.
4. The Love: I have nieces and nephews ranging in ages from 5 to 25. I know my sweet little niece will be delighted with her hand felted bear (waaaaaaaay cuter than a Bratz doll) and my 25 year old bachelor nephew will probably enjoy my homemade chocolate chip cookie dough better than he would a boring baseball cap that I picked up for him at "Whatever"-mart.

I will be posting a few tutorials over the next couple of weeks to share some handmade ideas for ornaments and gift giving (including a handmade stress management kit!). Next week I will also be having a giveaway, in honor of Thanksgiving, and in honor of how much you all have blessed my life through your encouragement and support.

I hope several others will join me in buying handmade and vintage this year.

18 comments:

Lance said...

Your absolutley right, I've already made a purchase from an artists for a gift. It's better than anything I could have bought from a store!

Suzan Buckner said...

Amen Sister! Great post! I had already made the decision to do the same thing--if they don't like their gifts, they can re-gift next year...LOL!!

LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE your Christmas stuff !!!!Love everything you do!!

Hugs!!
suzan

vivian said...

I'm with you, except for the "stuff" I have to buy my kids! I have always made most of our gifts. this year I do have to admit my husbands siblings and their families are getting movie tickets and candy.. I normally would make them something and give the kids gift cards, but Its just getting to difficult and I dont know what to buy for their husbands.. so I'm sending them to the movies! My friends though ALWAYs get something Ive made for them. Santas workshop is already open and in session!
hugs!
vivian

albasworld said...

I took the pledge to buy handmade long ago! I agree that everyone has to make a living, but I am not helping the Chinese get richer when we have artists here who need our support and who give us joy with wonderful handmade items that do not contain poisons!

I love your artwork Jenny. It makes me smile in the way that cute baby animals make you smile and say, "awwwwwww." Thank you for that!

Hugs & smiles, alba

elmaelsiena said...

You are so right. Buying handemade is wonderful and on etsy you don't have to go to the mall and spend hours driving around wasting time and gas.And if you buy on etsy most of the time it is one of a kind! :) How cool is that. Have a wonderful weekend.

Cheryl said...

Great post and I am right behind you! Handmade for me!!

michelle said...

You really are right, I always feel like I express my love for the receipient better when the gift is handmade. I am really looking forward to your tutorials!

Lori said...

Jenny, i am with you!!! i am gifting handmade for all the girls on my Christmas list:) i can't wait to see your tutorials!!!

Beth Quinn said...

hi jenny !! your right on girl - i too NEVER watch the news , hate it - they just breed negativity !! and you make the most awesome things , as always your art brightens my heart !!
xo,
beth

jillian said...

You're so right! This is an excellent pledge.
Can't wait to see your next post!!
XOXO
Jillian

Queenly Things said...

You are one smart lady. I wish more people would follow these precepts.
Santa is looking pretty darn cute up there.

Sweet B Folk Art said...

I am planning one handmade gift - one store bought.
By the By - I have given you an award - visit my blog for details.

- Sweet B

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I would love to have handmade gifts. Especially if they were as beautiful as yours...m...

Rebecca said...

Me too! Me too! I am trying atleast. I would say I'll be 90% handmade/homemade. The men are tough and they seem to be most happy with gift cards, LOL. Though they are getting hand knit hats whether they like it or not!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I love so much what you said in #1 that I will probably read it 10 times. I hate those talking heads so much.
I have been showing lots of people your pixies both here and on the web :)

Pearl Maple said...

Good for you to decide to turn off the folks who only have negative things to talk about there are lots of great things going on but if we are living in an era of crisis of confidence, it is about time we celebrated all that is good. Especially all our creative friends.

Doreen said...

I completely agree. I try to do the same thing for the holidays and your post has just spurred me on all the more. I completely agree with you about the news and the nonstop talk of the bleakness our world..ARGH....

I'm going to add you to my blogs I follow so that I can keep up with your tutorials and such.

Take care,
Doreen

Amy said...

I love home/handmade gifts so much! They are so much more meaningful. This is my baby's first Christmas and the only thing I am giving him is a teddy bear that I knitted for him. That way, he will be able to point to it someday and say, "My mommy made me that!"

-Amy

http://craftingbycandlelight.blogspot.com