Friday, August 29, 2008

Felting Fun

I have sculpted in earthen clay, porcelain, paper mache, polymer clay, and even in salt dough and cornstarch clay. My favorite medium of all time, of course, is paper clay. But recently Jenn Docherty's AWESOME book has inspired me to try sculpting with something a little different.... Wool!!! :-)

Pictured below is a little bear using needle felting techniques I learned from reading her book Sweet Needle Felts: 25 projects to Wear, Give and Hug. (The cupcake that this sweetie is presenting was made from polymer clay a-la that fantastic You Tube tutorial posted a few weeks back).
The lovely lady whose birthday it was is a beginning sewer, so I thought I'd make this birthday party bear into a pincushion to make it more functional.

It was refreshing to work with a new material, and I have to say that wool is a a lot more portable than paper clay. Perfect for those business trips that leave me stranded in a hotel at night with my hands itching to do something creative.

Below is the birthday card that accompanied it.

The card was a used 1940's gem picked up in my last flea market trip. I was able to strategically cut it apart, and with the addition of a little scrapbook paper, fashion into something new, yet vintage... my "giftee" loved it!

Sigh.... I just love the graphics on this beauty. And the dimension on the little umbrella. So pretty!


Happy weekend everyone!!!

16 comments:

Jenn said...

Hi Jenny!!

The bear is so absolutely adorable!!! I LOVE it! (I love all your work, btw!) I'm so happy that my book inspired you to venture into the world of wool. It is really, addictive!
Now I have to venture into the world of paperclay, which is something I've always wanted to do, too!

Lori said...

Jenny...how funny!!! i just ordered that book today...i have always wanted to learn wool felting and i thought that book looked just adorable and now that i see the cutie you have created, i am that more excited about getting it:) AND woo hoo, a visit from the author too!!!

Beth Quinn said...

hi jenny !!! i want to get that book so bad - your bear is absolutely adorable !!!!!! love love it !!
xo,
beth

janell berryman artist-owner said...

Its the rage! Soooo much fun. That bear is adorable!!! And your first one???????????? You're incredible :) I see your little blue birds as felted guys... bet that would be so cute. On the net some where I found a video of a gal who was on martha stewart showing how to make the little birds. Very sweet!

randi said...

Oooohhh- isn't she cute!! I'm so jealous- my "first" of any new project never turns out this fabulous!! That birthday girl is one lucky lady...she's sure to love her sweet little gift!
Happy labor day weekend!

vivian said...

oh my Jenny! Ive been going to try one of her bears for a bit.. but I havent worked up the courage! was it hard to do?? I even bought some wool.. I didnt buy the felting tools yet though.
I love your bear.. she turned out wonderfully! I cant believe its your first try!
hugs
vivian

Marie said...

Not to sound like a parrot or anything but that bear IS adorable! What a great job for your first project and what a lucky recipient to get it for her birthday, not to mention that card! Lucky her!!

Manuela said...

Hi Jenny!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I really love how you reworked that vintage card and the bear is just adorable.

Manuela

~dani~ said...

Yeah, stellar job Jenny! I cannot believe that was your 1st go at it! What a nice gift!

Carolee said...

Your blog is always such a delight to visit, and that bear is absolutely adorable!!

~ Carolee

jillian said...

Oh so sweet! I love your little bear.
XOXO
Jillian

gail said...

Hi, I just wanted to stop by and say hello. Your new creation is adorable. I love the little wool teddy. You did a fabulous job. This is a gift that is going to be soooo loved. Happy creating,,,gail

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I heart the bear and the CARD. it is so fantasic....m.

Colleen said...

This is DARLING !!! More more more...make MORE!

Marie Patterson Studio said...

I can't believe that is your FIRST needle felt!!! FANTASTIC!!! And I loved the vintage card too!

Pink Slippers said...

The graphics back when are so pretty and sweet then what we can find new now. But good thing for flea markets right? Have a great day, Wendy