Thursday, July 31, 2008

Prayers Needed...and some thoughts on crafty giving

Sorry not to have been around much lately. It has been rough sailing around here lately. Computers went down, cell phones fell apart, then we received the news that my beloved sister in law was diagnosed with stage III metastatic breast cancer. This is her second time around, having been diagnosed 14 years ago at age 32. I have been out of town away from home and staying with her to be closer to her and the rest of the family as she prepares to fight once again.

If I could ask all of my sweet blog friends to include her in your prayers, especially over the coming few weeks. While I have been down here we received more bad news that my husband's grandmother passed away.This has been a rough time for my husband and his family, so please keep them in your prayers as well.


Something I want to share with you about the wonderfulness of creativity. Some awesome crafter was kind enough to donate what seemed like a lifetime supply of gorgeous beads to the thrift store that my mother in law works in. My mother in law purchased the beads for my sister in law, and thanks to that generous crafter, my sister in law has had the pleasure of making the most lovely jewelry as she recovers from her recent mastectomy. Even cooler... everyone, old, young, teen aged, male or female, that has come to visit her over the past week has sat down and made a bracelet. The process of engaging in creativity with someone you love is wonderfully therapeutic and has meant the world to my sweet sister in law. We are going to be setting up an etsy shop to sell these bracelets soon. I will post a link when it's ready.

I am sure the donor of those beads had no idea how much we would be blessed by her generosity. It has made a huge difference in my sister in law's recovery.

I love what the Fly Lady says about donating your no longer needed items to thrift and charity shops so that you can "bless" someone else. If you, like myself, have a tendency to hang on to craft supplies that you really wont likely ever use, consider donating them to a thrift store or hospital in your community. You never know how much you can contribute to the health of someone out there than can use some "crafty therapy".

With that said, I send you all huge (((((hugs)))))) and love. I am headed back home next week and should get back to regular posting then. :-)

27 comments:

michelle said...

Oh, how rotten! My mom is a breast cancer survivor and that is our big fear, someday it may comeback. I hope your sil recovers quickly and well. She will definitely have my prayers. I love that crafting is helping her and you are right about our unused supplies!

Lori said...

Jenny, i am so sorry for your family's loss and your SIL's diagnosis...i will definitely pray for her...i just love what you shared about her making the jewelry and how all of her visitors sat down and created with her, that is so wonderful!!!

~dani~ said...

Oh, how unfair..ugh. I am so sorry. I know you are close with your SIL and it must be very hard to feel like there is not much you can do. But you are doing lots!! What a good sissy to go and stay to help. My husband Michael lost his Grandmother this week as well and I can fully appreciate how hard it can be. I will never get used to death..I am too selfish and want them all here with me.
Sending you hugs, loves, kisses & prayers to the whole family~

Victorian Lady said...

I'm so sorry Jenny...I will definitely include her!

Hugs!

Mere

Annie said...

I am so sorry to hear of your sad news...I will keep you and your family in my prayers and thoughts..
Best of luck to your SIL...

Annie

jillian said...

Your family will be in my prayers.
Your story about the beads is so touching. I can't wait to see her Etsy site.
I'm on my way to the basement to find things to donate (I'm sure I have quite a few!!!)
XOXO
Jillian

Melissa Lobdell, Little Melfred's Studio said...

Jenny-

Oh, sweetie! So much for everyone to go through. I'm sending thoughts and prayers for strength and health. Big hugs, my friend!

xo-Mel

Sarah B. B. said...

I think we've all been touched by that terrible disease - prayers are definitely with you & your family. Keep on beading - it's obviously doing something amazing. :)

janell berryman artist-owner said...

My thoughts are with you. Sorry to hear of this. Stay strong. Biggest of hugs to you!

Beth Quinn said...

hi jenny ! so sorry to hear about your sister , your in my thought and prayers as well as your family ~
hugs to you !!
xo,
beth

Marie Patterson Studio said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you make your way over this bump in the road of life. I too have donated supplies and hope that they have been a source of enjoyment for someone out there :)

ShabbyInTheCity said...

What a good SIL you are Jenny! That is a wonderful way to support and love a cancer patient :) crafty therapy. Hang in there...you all have my prayers!

Gypsy Mermaid said...

I will keep yall in my prayers. Cancer is the devils tool and only the best people you know and love get cursed with it! God will take care of her and keep her safe! I love her jewelry and how it is helping her! BIG BIG HUGS

toodles-
Sarah

Marie said...

Jenny, I am so sorry to hear this about your sister in law. My mother is a breast cancer survivor and I am ever cognizent of my own need to be vigilent. Your loved one absolutely has my prayers and special thoughts. The bracelet idea is wonderful and I shall be in line to buy one when you get the shop up and running. My deepest condolences also reference your husband's grandmother. (((hugs))) Sometimes it never seems to rain but what it pours . . . thank goodness we have the hope of the sun shining again to help us move forward. XXOO

Carolee said...

Prayers ascending for your SIL, and for her family, physicians and caregivers as well....

What a beautiful story about the healing power of creativity - thanks for sharing it.

~ Carolee

Huckleberry Arts said...

YOu family and SIL our in our prayers.

vivian said...

your sister in law will be in my prayers, as will her family! A very dear friend of mine just had a masectomy last month and is getting ready to start chemo. SHe has the most upbeat attitude and outlook! I keep praying that that will last inspite of the chemo. cancer sucks!
Creative therapy.. with the beading, what a great idea. I know that there are times when making a miniature bear is the best therapy for me! Ive never thought about donating craft supplies that I may never use. but that is a good idea!
looking forward to having you back around!
hugs
vivian

Sandra Evertson said...

I will keep you and her in my thoughts and prayers...
Sandra

Jackie said...

You and your family will be in our prayers. Take care, Jackie

Mary Isabella said...

I am praying for all of you....Mary

Ragged Roses said...

I am so sad to hear your news, thinking of you all and especially your poor sister in law. Take care
Kimx

Mary Isabella said...

I am checking on all of you. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please know that you are loved so very much!!!!

Sassafras & LuLu said...

Sorry to hear of your recent struggles, will keep in prayers!! What a great story of how donations of others can mean so much. Even in a different way, we have been able to clothe our girls, and really our whole family in this way or from others while I have been a stay-at-home mom, which has been a financial sacrifice, but we became blessed in other ways!! God works many wonders!
hugs, carol

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Prayers for you all. And what a touching idea to have the beads available for interactive visits.
Cathy

The Vintage Sister Studio said...

My thoughts and well wishes go out to you and your family.
Making jewelry during a visit must take some of the pressure off of your sister in-law. It's nice to have visitors but not so nice to have to talk about being sick too.
What a great idea!

robin dudley-howes said...

Oh what a great blog! found it surfing other blogs. love halloween!
robin

Cathy said...

Jenny,

Thank you for sending me such a beautiful post. It is so easy to focus on the negative without being grateful for all the wonders in our lives.

I could feel your thankfulness which reminded me to think about my own good fortune. I will be thinking about you and your lovely family on Thanksgiving when I say a prayer and thank God for all those who have touched my life.

xo Cathy