Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Polka Dot Night Light

I love the way a soft little night light greets you when you walk into a darkened room. I think this must go back to childhood when the glow of a night light was weapon enough against the imaginary monsters crouching under our beds and hidden in our closets.

In the midst of our recent home renovating, de-cluttering, cleaning, and decorating madness, I decided to add a few little night lights here and there, but didn't like the choices available at the local hardware store. So, crafty me set out to make my own little kitschy one in this night light makeover project.

I started out with this pink light from GE, some vintage polka dot fabric that I picked up at a yard sale, and leftover ball fringe and rickrack trim...



The plastic shade snaps right off of the light bit, making it easy to deconstruct the shade. The old fabric peeled off pretty easily, although I am sure it would have been even easier had I soaked it in a little warm water first.



I then liberally applied Aleene's tacky glue with an old paint brush, completely covering the plastic shade so that the fabric would attach uniformly.



I then smoothed the fabric across the shade adhering it to the glue. Once it had a chance to dry, I trimmed the fabric leaving a 1/8 inch margin to neatly fold the excess to the back as seen below.



To add a bit more "kitsch", I applied the rick rack trim across the top and the ball fringe to the bottom using more tacky glue...



The completed shade... :-)



I had so much fun with this project that I made two of them. All in all, I think I spent about $3.50 for each completed project. If you want to create your own little night light lampshade, but can't find this type of night light with the pre-made plastic cover, there are some great tutorials here and here for how to make them using standard night lights and plastic cups. Cute!!!!

I'll be back on Thursday with my Birthday and 100 Post (whew! took me long enough, eh?) Giveaway!!!

21 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

Oh that is so cute.
Alison

Maija said...

Darling craft!!

Tammy said...

It's adorable! I love it. Thanks for the tutorial. I like the thought of one in black and white toile or leopard print and black ball fringe and rick rack. I just might have to try this.
Hugs,
Tammy

Tammy said...

100 Posts!? Wow! How wonderful to have a springtime birtday. Hope Thursday is everything you would dream it to be.
hugs, Tammy

Lori said...

that is SO cute!!! love the finished project Jenny, you get an A+++

michelle said...

That is just adorable! I agree, nightlights everywhere! Especially if they are that cute!

vivian said...

♪♪♪ I love the night lite ♪♪♪
heehee.. can you hear the tune? (I love the night life?)
how cute it is and what a great idea!
looking forward to your 100th post and your giveaway!
see you soon
hugs
vivian

Handi Dandi Mandi said...

The nightlight turned out great! I love polka dots, especially red and white ones. very cute!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Congrats on the 100th! I just hit 300 and it went by so fast.

Cute little light, thanks for the tips.

Diane MacNaughtan said...

I love your nite-lite project, it turned out so cute! I am going to have to make one. I really like the room make-overs as well! Thanks for sharing all your fun:)
~Diane

Marie said...

That's so cute Jenny! I Love it. Congrats on your birthday and 100th post as well! I also wanted to tell you that I have joined the world of artists and opened my own Etsy shop! Kind of scary and yet exciting as well!

Cheryl said...

Great instructions! I saw one of these nighlights a week ago, but how cute the way you finished it! You are so creative.

Ragged Roses said...

That's a very pretty lampshade. I've been catching up on your posts and love all your home makeovers. You have been so busy!
Kimx

Miss Rhea said...

That is adorable !! Thanks for sharing !! I love your laundry room too !! Totally sweet !! :)

RobinBirdsNest said...

adorable!!

Lina said...

That is so sweet!

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Really a great idea. Thanks for sharing.
Cathy

Mystele said...

this ROCKS!!! What a great idea! thank you for your sweet words over at my blog! please feel free to add me to your list! thank you!

Ickle Pickle said...

So cute, great idea :)

Ickle Pickle said...

So cute and the fabric is delish :)

Jennifer said...

LOVE the nightlight idea! Im so going to make like 50 haha...

xo Jennifer