Monday, April 21, 2008

Laundry Room Makeover!!!

Whew!! We have really been on a roll around here! Last week, the garage was cleaned out and reorganized, and we had a little yard sale ( I kept some cute stuff behind to share with my blog friends for a Flea Market Friday sometime in May). We finally did our taxes (at the last minute) and took care of some other little clutter 'hot-spots" 'round the house. Below are some pics of the laundry/mudroom. It still needs a few things, mainly a bench with cubbies for winter gloves and scarfs, but I am happy with it for now. I am not brave enough to show the before pics, suffice it to say, it was really, really messy!


I had been holding on to these sweet little 1930's dresses that I found in an antique shop in a the tiny town on Snowflake, Arizona a few years ago. I love the sense of nostalgia they add here, it's the first thing I see when walk into the room from the kitchen. The ironing board cover is new, from Target. I'd love to have a Cath Kidston one like this.... I am saving up for it!



The swinging door, as legend has it, used to hang in an old Hollywood restaurant (or was it a hotel?) that the dashing Humphrey Bogart frequented. Or, at least that's what we were told ;-). Our tiny kitchen (another recently cleaned up space) is on the other side of that door. The tin bucket hanging on the wall was a thrift shop find, perfect for tossing dryer lint and other laundry trash.



These cabinets were a depressing, muddy brown. I painted them a glossy white and tacked up these cute blue bird images, obtained from this Etsy seller. The glowing red night light was a small project I finished yesterday. I will post about that tommorrow (promise!).



I adore this grocery bag stasher, handmade by the awesome MissesKwitty's! This was my very first Etsy purchase!



The baskets shown above were the family member's Easter baskets. I purchased them knowing that once the Easter goodies were gone, I would be using them in my laundry room project. They are just the right size for organizing the cleaning supplies. And now I know where it all is so that I can stop buying duplicates!




The final finishing touch in this room are the cute little vintage doll dresses, displayed "drying line" style here above the washer and dryer. Who says that laundry can't be fun?!!!

It's funny a how addicting organization and "Spring Cleaning "can be once you get started. I did take a little time out yesterday to do some crafting (but I made a coupon organizer with that time, LOL!). Being a naturally messy person, I have found lots of inspiration and guidance here... I am slowly working my way around the house and am determined to clear the clutter this Spring!

I'll be back tommorrow with my night light project!


15 comments:

michelle said...

Wow! I love everything you did! the clothes on the wall are so cute and the cabinets look great! I need to get some cute bag holders like that! The nightlight project sounds interesting!

Handi Dandi Mandi said...

I wish my laudry area could be that organized! I love the clothes line idea, it really makes it look nice. Hopefully you'll help inspire me! Great job.

Mystele said...

Oooooo! It looks scrumptious. I wish my laundry room was this nice. Ours has the water heater, etc... and all the pipes to go with it. But, at least we have one, right?

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

Your laundry room is quite charming, and of course I am loving those bluebirds on your cabinets!! :)

Alison Gibbs said...

Great laundry makeover.
Mine looks like a bomb has hit it.
Alison

Maija said...

It looks beautiful!
Melrose Vintage in Phoenix carries alot of the Cath Kitson stuff

Lori said...

how very CUTE!!! i just love everything you did in the laundry room to make it extra special sweet:)

Jenn said...

I LOVE it!!! The little dresses by the ironing board, the adorable ric rac clothes line, the grocery bag holder, the yummy white cabinets!! So cute:) And I adore your front porch makeover too! Your bird "finials" are magnificent:):) happy week to you!
xo...jenn

Marie said...

Oh wow Jenny! I love, LOVE, LOOOOVE your laundry room! I have a soft spot for your vintage children's dresses, both the life sized ones and the doll sized ones. You need a doll's dress clothes peg holder! I wish I had one as I'd send it to you! I love your cabinets as well! A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!!!

jillian said...

What cute and clever ideas! I love the color you painted the walls. I think I'm gonna have to find some cute vintage clothes to put in my laundry room cuz I love the dresses you have in yours! And what a sweet way to brighten up the cabinets! The bluebirds are too cute!!
LOVE IT!
XOXO
Jillian

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Hi Jenny! Love the laundry room! I am also dreaming of a new ironing board cover :) I want somebody to make it for me with a ruffle around the edge...way down. I saw something yesterday I should have bought you...I'm kicking myself...it may still be there!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

That is one of the best laundry rooms ever!

Vallen said...

Sna - zee!!! I love the dresses, both small and smaller.

Ickle Pickle said...

Can you come to my house and organise my utility roomplease? LOL, wow how organised are you :)

Jillian said...

This is a great theme...and adorable! Love the "laundry line" of little dresses!