Thursday, January 10, 2008

Vintage Goodies!

Okay, so not all of the goodies you see below are actually from the Flea Market.. some were picked up from eBay and one was a Christmas gift tucked away for months from my wonderfully sweet mother in law.

First, quilt experts out there... can you help me "date" the age of this glorious minty green quilt. I think it's pattern is "Wedding Ring"? (Correct me if I am wrong). I picked up for an unbelievably low price at my favorite antique haunt in Orange California... Country Roads. The fabrics are awesome... lots of dots and feed sack prints. If anyone out there can estimate the age on this beauty, let me know.


Now for another mystery. This, my most favorite Christmas present this year, is a fantastic 1930's looking note pad holder. While taking the picture I accidentally covered up the words with the notepad that say "Don't Forget". On the bottom of this wooden holder is a sticker that says " 'Our Mark', " Vasen Mfg, Dewitt Iowa". A Google search for Vasen Manufacturing in Dewitt, Iowa turned up nothing. If any of you are familiar with this maker, let me know.


This gorgeous hand crocheted tablecloth was picked up at the Long Beach Flea Market, and to my utter delight it fitted my dining room table to a "t". We'll keep it on display through the winter.



Another fun flea market find is this goofy head vase, (hey, let's give him a name)... one of those things you come across and have to buy for no good reason. Quite the dapper fellow (polka dot tie even), he looks surprised to be here....


I am a Salt and Pepper Shaker collector, but focus primarily on anthropomorphic S &P's . The adorable grapefruit and pepper head S & P's pictured below were eBay finds. I have been hankering after the set on the left for a long time... a few years ago I found a single from the same set in an antique store, but forgo it due to the price (thought it was a bit steep for the angry little grapefruit man all by his lonesome). I regretted not buying it because I never found a salt shaker like him until lo and behold... the pair showed up on eBay. How I love thee, eBay!


And while they aren't anthropomorphic fruit and veggie heads, I couldn't resist this sweet little bird S & P shaker set when I came across them at the Long Beach Market. The price was right too!



Speaking of birds, check out this awesome valentine picked up on eBay for a few bucks. Hmmmm these birds look familiar.....


More on the bird front, a shabby old cuckoo clock, again from the Long Beach flea market. It's missing numerals, it doesn't quite work, but look at that cute lil' blue bird peeking out up there. I am going to take this to a professional to see if we can get it working. Any clock experts out there? I think this one might be a "Keebler?'


And speaking of shabby... how deliciously pink are these vintage bottle brush wreaths from the flea market?! I am definitely going to use these in my Christmas designs for next year. Stay tuned!


Finally on the vintage front, I fell in love with these yummy linens picked up for less than a buck or two each at one of those wonderful market stalls where nothing is even out of the box yet, and flea market fanatics are digging with a frenzy...


Most treasured amongst them is this strawberry napkin. I have visions of rickrack and gingham in my head as I plan to incorporate all of those elements (along with the napkin as a centerpiece) into a cute little throw pillow for the studio.


Finally, making my week, my mailman dropped off some awesome goodness from the amazingly talented Sandra Everston and the wonderfully creative Sadie Lou. Check in on Saturday to see. I promise you'll be inspired!!!

19 comments:

Lori said...

Jenny, i am swooning over that gorgeous tablecloth and the sweet little birds salt and pepper shakers:) and ooooh i can't wait to see what you got from Miss Sadie Lou and Sandra!!!

FrostingsNSparkles said...

Hiya Jenny, and Happy New Year, wow, your Pfatt goodies sold out so quick, Congatualtions!! :)

Your loot has me drooling, what wonderful finds and gifts, those salt and peppers are so great. I collect them too, as I inherited my Gram's collection :)

Your whimsical moustached man head looks a bit like a Cuthbert to me

Alison Gibbs said...

Wow soo..many beautiful things.
Love the bird salt and pepper shakers.
Alison

Jenn said...

So many wonderful treats!! I'm especially jealous of your little polkadot bow tied man...I love him! Looking forward to seeing your goodies from the fabulous Sadie Lou and Sandra!! xoxo..jenn

Cheryl said...

Oh boy, what a lot of wonderful stuff!!! Love it all..what great finds. Great way to start the New Year.

Marie said...

Oh my goodness but you did pick up some lovelies there! I am drooling over all of them, but especially the salt and pepper shakers! How wonderful! I'm a bit of a collector myself!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Diane MacNaughtan said...

Hi Jenny,
Wow! I love all your fabulous finds. And your sweet creations are simply the best!!!
~Diane

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I think the quilt is 1940s but not sure. I love that crocheted cloth! And the little birdies so funny they do look familiar ;)
Man with the bow tie is a string holder...you know it comes out his mouth.

BeachysCapeCodCupboard said...

What gorgeous, gorgeous treasures! YUP, that's a beautiful wedding ring quilt! And those anthropomorphic shakers are so so cute! Your head vase man reminds me of an usher at my brother's wedding! lol They had a 20's style wedding, and this usher had a curly moustache and parted his reddish blonde hair in the middle! lol

If it's ok with you and Phyllis, you can have the goodies I snagged at her flea market this morning -- I feel badly I was there before you (I was up REALLY early to take one of my boys to a before school activity). =)

ShabbyInTheCity said...

You gave me an idea! Two friday fleas...a later one for my faithful friends out west! Would that be a good idea?

Mary Isabella said...

Wow and double Wow you had good finds. Blessings Mary

Tina said...

EEEwwwww, I'm sooo jelly over the goodies you have amassed!!!! Wonderful finds, I hope you find out about all the details of them and share with us!!!

Rebecca said...

Oh definately Harvey on the string holder! (and I do think that is what he is, I have a kangaroo and the string comes out of her pocket.)

Such great finds! I love those pepper head S&Ps!

Garden Painter Art said...

I go to the Long Beach Flea Market as well. I love browsing the aisles.

You know what I find interesting about that quilt? The fact that the solid print is green. My mom is an old Ozark hand quilter and all of her solid fabric was always muslin.

My daughter collects vintage salt and pepper shakers too. We've purchase many pairs at Long Beach. I love anything anthropomorphic. Many of my collages feature anthropomorphic animals.

Kim
Garden Painter ARt

Flea Market Queen said...

Aw...you went to my alltime favorite store! I love Country Roads...
Look at all your treasures, good for you!
Hop on over, I'm having a giveaway!
Priscilla

~*~Tamy ~*~ said...

I'm not an expert, but from what I can see of the fabric styles it appears to be from the 1940-50's. They are making some new fabrics in some of those similar prints and calling them retro. Any good quilt store could tell it's age. It might be worth a trip to see. It's also a Double Wedding Ring pattern traditionally given as a wedding present to show that the two lives have become entwined.

michelle said...

I think you must be queen of the treasure hunters! What gorgeous, amazing finds! Love them all. And I haven't been over here in awhile, all your latest creations are so great!

Melissa Lobdell, Little Melfred's Studio said...

Gasp, sigh, drool!!! I absolutely adore all of your finds! And your sweet treats from Sandra and Sadie Lou!!! xo-Mel

I AM VERY MARY said...

Wow! What a great haul!