Thursday, November 29, 2007

5 Random Things


The amazingly talented Christy of CC's Whimsies tagged me to post 5 random things about me... so here goes :-)



  1. I was quite the actress when I was a kid. When I was about 4 or 5 years old, I had convinced myself that I was Darla from the Little Rascals and made my parents call me Darla half of the time. If there was a stage anywhere I would embarrass my two older sisters by jumping upon it for an impromptu performance. Despite not knowing how to tap dance, I would wear tap shoes picked up from a garage sale and bounce around the house thinking that I was the next Shirley Temple. I think it drove my poor family crazy. As a teen, I did tons of community theater, tried starting a theater ministry at my church, won best actress awards for plays I did in high school and at some point was in a low budget commercial! Ha! That was my 15 minutes of fame I think :-). I dreamt of pursuing acting as a career for a long time, but when I hit college and realized that my skin wasn't quite thick enough for rejection that goes with a job like that. So I changed my major to English, and decided to become a writer. So funny that my "real life" job has absolutely nothing to do with either of those creative pursuits. I now work in the non profit health care sector. Never dreamt of that! I am so thankful that I get to exercise my creative energy through pixie making :-)!!!!

  2. I love love love books on tape. I listen to them when I am driving, cooking dinner, scrubbing floors, you name it. I especially like Maeve Binchy audio books. There's nothing like having a story read to you in a lovely Irish accent.

  3. I also love love love love music. I would hate to be without it. I can distinctly remember buying my first album (U2's The Unforgettable Fire... still one of my favorites!) when I was 11 years old. When I am not listening to the books on tape you'll find me strapped to my Mp3 player. I have pretty varied musical tastes and LOVE the oldies that swing like the Mills Brothers and Fats Waller , but am really really loving indie Canadian bands like The Arcade Fire right now. I have a soft spot for English rock bands too, especially Radiohead, and I am loving their new downloadable In Rainbows album (and you can pay whatever price you want for it... Really!!!!). They the most incredibly innovative artists !

  4. I don't have many vices, but I have a hard time leaving the grocery store without buying a magazine. They get me every time. I keep promising myself that one day I will do a little magazine purging since I must have amassed at least 1,000 of them over the years.

  5. My wonderful husband and I got married very young (he was 21 and I was 19), and started our family right away, so we will be in our early 40's by the time they are in college. What we dream of doing after the kids are through school is to become gypsy like and live in the following places for one year only!: 1. San Francisco, in the North Beach nieghborhood so that I can walk to an Italian bakery and eat cannoli everyday! 2. Galway, Ireland 3. Ferndale, California 4. Brighton, England 5. Orange, California (so that we can go to Disneyland everyday!!!!). After that we can move back home and be ready to be grandparents. :-) Maybe then I can try the acting thing again too! Hee heee ;-)

Okay my turn to tag!!!! (sorry if you have already been tagged!)


You're it......


Elaine Thomas (Artful Spirit)


Lori (Fairie Window)


Marie (Marie's Muses)


Phyllis (Shabby in the City)


Sadie (Craftily Ever After)



And one last plug for the bluebird giveaway. I'll pull names when I get back from my business trip tomorrow night!

17 comments:

Lori said...

Jenny...LOVE your list...i was cracking up over #1, i can almost picture you tapping all over that house and driving everyone crazy...and you tagged me huh? well...i'll have to give this some thought...look next week...

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I'm just reading along lost in Jenny's life when BAM there is my name! Like Emeril putting spice in a pot of soup! Okay...gimme a minute to compose some thoughts...I'll get on it soon :)

Vallen said...

Galway and Brighton - I'll see you there, Good choices!!!

Susie Q said...

I LOVE your list Jenny!! I would love to live in many of those places...we actually lived in SF but only for 4 months! : )
I have lived in so many towns that I enjoy being settled but, IF I could keep my little house and IF the kids were on their own, well, what sweetness to live for several months in Paris or Lindon or NYC...in Italy and Ireland and Key West!

I LOVE Darla!!

Hugs,
Sue

Debbie Egizio said...

Hey Darla! That is too cute!

Mary Isabella said...

Neat list Jenny. Sounds like alot of fun traveling around. Mary

Ragged Roses said...

Oh do come and live in Brighton for a year, we could have fun!!! It is lovely here. There is something very special about a soft lilting irish accent - my oldest daughter can put on a very good one and I could listen to her all day!
Kim x

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Fun facts! Better to dream of being Darla than Alfalfa!! She sings way better. :-)

Have a great day~
Cathy

Ruth Welter said...

Hey Jenny, loved reading all the facts about you. It's fun to learn all the different and mostly unknown facts about our blogger friends. : )

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Jenny I just got my package and thank you, thank you!!! Santa is so big and I love him! (them :) You are so sweet!

FrostingsNSparkles said...

Awww, Darla!! So cute :D SOunds like a really great plan for when the kids are gone! How cool that you were in a commercial!

Flea Market Queen said...

Oh you named a few of my fav places...San Fran, Ferndale!
Love them both...
Great choices!
Priscilla

Marie said...

Ohh Jenny, thanks so much for the tag!!! I just love doing these things!!! My mind is already working on it! I really loved reading these five things about you! How fascinating. My favourite fact was indeed number one! I could just picture it! I think Darla was everyone's favourite!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Penny @ Lavender Hill Studio said...

How fun getting to know you better! I too acted in high school, and then several years in community theater in Ft. Myers, Fl. Then, motherhood came and acting fell to the wayside.

My creative outlet is thru my mosaic art and chandelier creations now...
Penny

Kari & Kijsa said...

Darla, oops, we mean Jenny!! What cute things you shared! We enjoyed reading them!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

BeachysCapeCodCupboard said...

What cool things about you!!! I think we're alot alike! I also was bigtime into the drama club in school, one of my first music purchases was also U2's Unforgettable Fire, I also switched my major in college to English, and I have family from Galway (several generations back, though). Hmmmmm... guess we artist-types probably have lots of similarities! And I'm LOVING my snowman you made!!! =)

Sandra Evertson said...

Love this!
Darla, that is just about the cutest thing I ever heard!
Sandra Evertson