Saturday, July 21, 2007

Random thoughts...and I am this muppet

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. I have been cleaning my house and am thoroughly enjoying the process of shining up old wood and getting rid of lots of clutter. We are having the home appraised on Monday, so that we can refinance our crazy mortgage. I hope to take some pictures of the house to post here too, since I haven't done that since January. But just like when you have friends over, you want your house to be spic and span before you show them in for a cup of tea!!!.

Do you ever find that the strangest things give you a sense of contentment, or lift your mood a bit in the midst of tension and angst. I don't know why but I often find myself discovering glimpses of delight at the oddest moments. For example, whenever I am driving alone at night, I am charmed by the glow from the radio, or comforted from seeing the lights in a home from the highway. Certain songs, especially ones I remember from the mid 1970's and early 80's when I was a little girl, songs like Elton John's Benny and the Jets and almost anything by the Eagles or Billy Joel always put me in a better frame of mind. Re-reading books like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and just about anything from the Little House on the Prairie series also lend an odd relief from the stress and strain of my everyday job. There is so much comfort in process of kneading dough, or the way a wooden spoon feels in my hand as I stir marinara sauce in the pot. We have a lovely old silver maple tree in the front yard that I am in love with. I have a fondness for laying on the grass under that tree and just watching her branches play in the breeze while the finches dance about. I can't imagine that a massage at a Day Spa could anything more than that tree does to relax me. And when all else fails, there is nothing like a goofy t.v. show or movie to take your mind off of your troubles. Almost every American kid I know that grew up in the 70's and early 80's remembers spending Sunday night parked in front of the television to catch an episode of The Muppet Show. Having graduated from the pre-school antics of Sesame Street, The Muppet Show definitely had a cooler vibe for the grade school set. In fact, I think Kermit the Frog was my first crush!

A few months back I found this funny little quiz on TK Angels' blog. Based upon your answers you will discover what your “Muppet” personality is...My results didn't surprise me one bit!!!

You Are Fozzie Bear

"Wocka! Wocka!"
You're the life of the party, and you love making people crack up.
If only your routine didn't always bomb!
You may find more groans than laughs, but always keep the jokes coming.
Any odd things make you happy? Have you taken the Muppet Personalty test? Which furry puppet do you resemble?

14 comments:

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

I can very much relate to this post. When we are driving along at night, I love seeing the lights in people's homes..... wondering what they are doing, home safe and happy.
I think simple things that are constant make us feel secure. I know just the feeling you describe.
It's also funny you mention the muppets, as my dh has said twice just this past week that they need to bring back The Muppet Show!!
:)

Tootie said...

I can defintely understand where you are coming from.....those every so fleeting moments that bring you joy. Like the smell of the night air when driving at night with the moon roof open or a brand new fresh set of marker! It's the little things in life!
Smiles-
Tootie

TK Angels said...

Love you post Just the simpilest things in life can make me feel calm after a long stressful day at work. I love talking with my gandkids, driving or jsut sitting on the deck and looking at the sky. Examining each cloud and picturing a dog in the cloud or something in my imagination.

Take care,
Love,
Terri

The Family Jewels said...

I am Scooter. Brainy and knowledgable, you are the perfect sidekick. You're always willing to lend a helping hand. In any big event or party, you're the one who keeps things going. "15 seconds to showtime!"

Great post! I am also glad that you are feeling better than you were last time. I am happy to say that it wasn't my cooking that made you sick like it has others.

Good luck with the appraisal!

Sandi @ the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I was sure I'd be Miss Piggy~ but I am a kermit.

I need to work on that!

Flea Market Queen said...

I want to laze under your silver maple tree too! Sounds heavenly...
I also have to admit I'm a Miss Piggy lover!

Ragged Roses said...

I love lying in the garden reading and just listening to the birds singing. I love closing all the curtains on a grey rainy evening and feeling all cosy. I love Little House on the Prairie too (a good cry always makes me feel better!)
Kim x

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I haven't even taken the test yet but I know I must be Cookie Monster!!!
I love the things that make you feel comfort. You know those lights in windows bothered me when I was in college...I felt kind of homeless living in the dorm and wondered if I would ever have a home and family.
The smell of the grill makes me think of my childhood...woodsmoke from the fireplace too...the hum of Mama's sewing machine as I colored under her sewing table and Barbara Walters was on the news talking about the war in Vietnam...

Maija said...

We must be about the same age!!

Susie Q said...

I always look into people's homes at night...I imagine stories about them...I used to think I was odd than I found a few kindred spirits! : )

Those little, sweet and fleeting things make life worth living!

Hugs,
Sue...and I LOVE Fozie Bear!! Wocka wocka wocka....

FrostingsNSparkles said...

I love seeing the lights in people's homes too, especially around Christmastime, when you can imagine a cozy fire...sigh :)

I think its a gift to be able to find the simple pleasures in life :)

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I hope by now you have your package...and that it arrived safely!

wigglywourms said...

We are having a realtor over on Tuesday and I've been busy painting, packing and cleaning. The appraiser came by over a week ago and I was out of town so I didn't get to fuss over that...but I'm doing my fair share of fussing about now! I'm tired. LOL.
Your post reminds me of me :o) I have a nice little cherry tree in the back yard that I love to sit under and relax. I love the old songs but I haven't heard B...B...B...Benny and the Jets for a LONG time...brings back memories though ;o)
I'm surprised to find out that I'm like Miss Piggy...LOL...and now you tell me your first crush was my Kermie...I feel a karate chop coming on....hii-ya! He's mine ;o)

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I was Miss Piggy!!

I agree about relaxation, a spa doesn't do it for me, the little things around me, even if it is just a pretty paint color on the wall are soothing to me!