Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Back! And ... whew! Much better

Ahhhh....the life of a traveling worker bee. I have always considered myself very blessed to have a job that allows me experience the beauty of the Grand Canyon State up close. Eating out for breakfast, lunch ,and dinner, rental cars, sleeping in hotel rooms....sounds very glamorous? The consequences of which, at least last week, led to a marathon style yucky-ness fest when I finally came home Friday afternoon. Yes, I am talking about food poisoning. And thus I spent most of my weekend hoping to keep saltine crackers and 7up down long enough to catch a smidgen of rest.
Today is the 1st day I am feeling close to my old self, and I love to share some pics of mail that totally brightened my week.
I have a fantastically wonderful neighbor named Tracey who is the type of person everyone wishes lived next door. Inside of her late Victorian home, her walls are decorated with gorgeous Waverly papers,vintage botanical prints and original watercolors. One can seat themself so comfortably on the faded chintz cushions, Country Living magazines strewn about waiting for a nice long read. When you pop in for a visit, depending on the time of day, Tracey will greet you with tea and shortbread, or homemade chips and salsa. The salsa is made from tomatoes, peppers and herbs that Tracey grows in the garden next to her pottery studio, where she whips up the most colorful, whimsical pottery imaginable. With her permission, I'll take lots of pics of her home and studio and share them in the coming weeks.
To give you an example of her kindness... when she found out that I was under the weather this weekend, within an hour, her sweet 14 year old son arrived on our front porch with a home made dinner for my family, and soup for me. I didn't know that they made neighbors like this anymore!
For all her sweetness, I try to pick up little tokens of gratitude for Tracey when I am on my travels. Knowing she is a lover of collage, I contacted the amazingly talented Melissa Lobdell "Little Melfie" to commission a piece especially for Tracey. The package arrived last week, sweetly wrapped and tagged, and even with a special extra for me.



When I delivered the collage to Tracey yesterday, she was practically in tears. She absolutely loved it. She enthused over every detail, the Italian sheet music, the sweet bird, the vintage millinery flowers!
What a wonderful experience to be able to give a handmade treasure such as this. It made me decide to commit to purchase all of the gifts I give to friends and coworkers for the forthcoming year only from other artists and from my blogging friends that sell vintage wares. Not only is it a great way to support the art and small business community, but the products you purchase have so much more to offer your recipient. True treasures that will last for generations, and memories that endure even longer.

16 comments:

Lori said...

i am so glad you are feeling better Jenny!!! i just bought one of Melissa's hats and it is absolutely adorable!!! i love her style!!! i saw the piece she did for you on her blog and it is just wonderful, i am sure your sweet neighbor was thrilled to pieces!!!

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

testing! :-)

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Tell Tracey thank you for taking care of my friend when I couldn't be there! Tell her I love her home and her hospitality and that she needs a blog :)Then I can tell her myself!
You have been a good customer of mine and I hope you get a package in the mail before long...hope I wrapped it well enough too.
I hope you are on the mend friend!

BeachysCapeCodCupboard said...

What a dear, dear friend you have! And so glad to hear you are feeling better! When I used to work in Boston, a bunch of us went out to lunch at a local pub. Whoever ate the special of the day that day (fish-n-chips) were all treated to food poisoning that afternoon (including me). We were offered our money back (HA!) but all we wanted to do was go straight home (and I had a 1 1/2 bus ride back to Cape Cod)! ugh! lol

Claire said...

gorgeous!

TK Angels said...

I also am glad you are feeling better. Neighbors are a God send. We have a few in the neighborhood that you know you can depend on :)

Take care,
Love,
Terri

Melissa Lobdell, Little Melfred's Studio said...

Jenny!!!! Oh, yay!!! You're right--I didn't know that they made neighbors like that anymore! I loved reading about her and know there is so much more you could tell! So glad that she loved her little piece--and you yours!!! Again, I'm thrilled you asked and will join you in your commitment to buy handmade! Of course, we create and we should support those who create and get away from the "just like everyone else" mentality! You rock! xo-Mel

Melissa Lobdell, Little Melfred's Studio said...

And I'm so sorry about your little treat from the road--so glad you're feeling better!! xo-Mel

Rebecca said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Tracey sounds like the best neighbor! I think you are very lucky. And what a great gift! I am also planning to give some handmade treasures myself this year. :)

CCs Whimsies said...

I'm glad you are feeling better Jenny! Good neighbors are hard to find... keep yours! I love the collage you showed of Melissa's... Yummy! Take care of yourself.Big hugs! christy

Elaine Thomas said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. I totally understand, I had food poison before and it is not fun at all.

You are such a sweet friend. Tracey is so lucky to have you as a neighbor.

Well, continue to get better.

Smiles,
Elaine

Flea Market Queen said...

I hope your feeling better...I'm loving the collage! So nice to have wonderful neighbors.
Thanks for posting on my blog...I am also adding you to my favs!
Have a blissful day~

Rosemary said...

glad you are feeling better! What a blessing your neighbor is! I don't even know my neighbors names. Can't wait to see pics of her home and yard! Rosemary

Maija said...

You are so blessed to have such a wonderful neighbor inyour life! I am sure she feels equally blessed!

Susie Q said...

I love knowing you feel better Jenny!

Tracey sounds like a wonder. We have a few great neighbors like that...it is a pleasure isn't it?

Hugs,
Sue

Dapoppins said...

really, all this crafty goodness and wonderful tallent is going to kill me with jealousy.