Friday, June 15, 2007

TV Room Makeover

I hope everyone had a nice week. I just got back from my work trip and it's so good to be home. I am really looking forward to catching up on everyone's blogs over the weekend.


Hooray!!!!!It's Friday! When I was a girl growing up, Friday nights often meant a trip to the local cinema. Whatever was on the screen wasn't 1/2 as important as snacks we indulged in while snuggling down into our creaky theater seats.

To this day we love movie going. But alas! There's no movie theater within this tiny town of ours, so the closest big screen is a 34 mile commute to Flagstaff.

Being movie lovers, my husband and I always dreamed of creating our own indoor theater. A few posts back, I showed you pics of the couches and posters we ordered that we thought would fit our theme of "Art Deco movie house". We'll, we ordered them, they arrived, and..... we could not get them through the TV room's tiny Victorian size doors!!! We pushed, we pulled, we argued... we gave up defeated. The upside of the couch problem was all the yards of bubble wrap they used to pad their journey. I am never at a loss as to what to do with bubble wrap!!!

Plan B. We ordered these small size single black futons online. And I set about, undaunted, refreshed and ready to make my boring tiny TV room into the movie house of my dreams. Pulled down old wall paper....


Added... red paint to walls, charcoal paint to floor and trim, red velvet curtains to window, comfy shag rug on floor. Futons placed in L shape with added black dust ruffles to cover up ugly metal legs, and art deco-ey looking red and white velvet pillows.

Movie posters on the wall.... bookshelf from Target in the corner to store our favorites, plus a jar of candy. This is also the future home of the mini popcorn machine!
To the right of the TV (in the pic below), there is a little closet that goes under the stairs where we house all of the electronic equipment and a mini fridge for keeping our drinks cool and at the ready.
Shhhh... It's time for the show!


I am pretty happy with the way it turned out, despite not being able to fit my pretty red velvet couches through the door. We still have a couple of finishing touches in mind before we consider the room complete, such as framing the posters and adding rope lighting and molding to the ceiling. I'll be sure to chronicle those additions. I'd love to hear what you think of the redo! In the meanwhile, pass the popcorn!!! :-)

23 comments:

Claire said...

cool! what time is the first show?

TK Angels said...

Oh- I absoultely am so jealous of your movie room. I am stuttering. What a FANTASTIC room.

Love it!!
Take care,
Love,
Terri

The Family Jewels said...

We bought our house for the studio space and for the basement which will be turned into a theater by this winter. I love the red that you chose...we a doing a dark gray with a purple haze over it. I love your blog! It is one that I check everyday. I went to Michael's today and thought of you when I found printed cupcake papers (by Martha Stewart) and thought they would make really neat skirts for your pixies! All of your work is just gorgeous!

Lori said...

LOVE IT!!! Save me a seat...got any milk~duds???

Jackie said...

Great room to get lost in a flic!!
I love the way you framed the tv....have a great night!! Jackie

michelle said...

It is amazing and gorgeous! What a superb job you have done,I haven't been in a theater that nice in a long time!

Ragged Roses said...

Wonderful! Wish I lived a bit nearer! Love the colour, it really suits the room and reminds me of the decor of a little independent cinema that we often visit. Enjoy!
Kim x

Melissa Lobdell, Little Melfred's Studio said...

Oh, Jenny!!! This is the coolest room!! Love everything about it! Have you had your first showing??? What was it?? xo-Mel

karin (creativechaos) said...

What a great job!! I love the posters and the curtain around the tv..... Save me some popcorn I will be right over! :)

BetteJo said...

Oh my gosh how fun!! Wish I could do something like that - it's SO cool!! DO keep the updates coming - when I can't do something myself I love to see when someone else CAN!!

Sadie Lou said...

I've been in Washington! I bet you thought I fell off the face of the earth. Thanks for getting back to me about my blog header--I still can't get it right.
:(
I love your movie room--I'm jealous!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I'm so smitten with this I can't tell you! What a CUTE idea :) My boys and I are the movie watchers here and proclaim one of their rooms our 'theatre'. So I'm thinking one Christmas or birthday you could surprise your husband with surround sound speakers!
Oh-we like to pour M&Ms into our microwave popcorn while its warm.....mmmmm :)

Susie Q said...

I am so envious of what you have accomplished!! I so want to turn part of the basement family room into a theater WITH popcorn machine but until our son moves out...*sigh* Oh well...and I so want a TV like that to watch our films on!!
You have an amazing room!!!
FANTASTIC!
Okay now...what is showing tonight? Will there be Junior Mints and popcorn and Coco Cola?

Hugs,
Sue

Bee said...

Your new room is fabulous. Love, love, love the red walls and the curtains. It looks the perfect place to curl up and enjoy a great movie. The posters are awesome too.

Mica said...

okay move over.. I will be there to watch a flick with ya...we can wear jammies and eat popcorn!!! Fun room, great job..love it!!!

Mica

Ruth Welter said...

Hey Jenny, love your media room. It is a treat to be able to have a room like that, dedicated to one thing....You did a great job, enjoy it.

jenny holiday said...

Soooooo fantastic Jenny!!! You and Rocky are my heros!! : ) You guys rule!! So darn cool!!

Lucky kids you have there!!

Mom and Dad rule!!

Sooo fabulous!! I LOOOVE it!!

xoxo Jenny

Genevieve Olsen said...

ooooh I love red it is my favorite my whole house is red except for my girls rooms and how cute is your new room!!!! I have had that furniture not fitting too many times to count!
Not being able to get a bed up the stairs etc, The next house I buy it will include strict mesurements of all openings doors and spaces disclosed in the contract hehe!!!
Love your room,red velvet couches WHat a bummer?Boo Hoo,I feel your pain!Enjoy and take care!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

oh. my..... what a great idea!! I love how it all came together despite the obstacles.

What a f*u*n place to watch the show!! I'll be over, and bring the snacks!
Lidy

BeachysCapeCodCupboard said...

What an awesome home theatre! Hubby wants to make one here at home - I will have to show him your photos!

We still have a local drive-in (a 30-min drive from my house but worth it!) They STILL show the dancing hotdog etc at intermission!!!

Peta said...

I would love a home theater. Love the vintage movie posters. How did you mount the tv on the wall?

deb said...

I love your poster choices.. and that room is to die for!

TWB said...

This is exactly what I've been looking for!

I have an ugly little room that I didn't know how to decorate. Now I know what to do with it. I'll make a TV room!

Brilliant!