Friday, March 16, 2007

Introducing Alice!



As many of you guessed, the little doll in blue was destined to become a mini version of the ever so curious heroine from Lewis Carroll's classic Alice in Wonderland. A good friend of mine has loved this book so much since childhood, that she has always kept an "Alice" corner in her home. It's filled with many versions of the book (not sure...but, I think she may even have a first edition in there...), figurines, and another little Alice doll that I made for her a few years back. This tiny version is dollhouse scale, with features sculpted from paper clay, over a wire, foil and foam armature that was wrapped in paper tape, gessoed, painted, sealed and antiqued. I have never been very good with fabric, so this little one's costume was constructed entirely of cupcake liners! The dress is nice and sturdy thanks to a 3 to 4 step process that I go through to create the clothing. There are tons of interpretations of "Alice", from Sir John Tenniel and Arthur Rackham and of course, Walt Disney. I was mostly inspired to create a Tenniel-esque version (although in his version, Alice didn't have stripey socks until she went Through the Looking Glass).
Now of course Alice would be way too lonely in the altered styled book box all by herself, so I created the little white rabbit, a tea pot, and the "drink me" bottle to keep her company.
I came across the wooden "book box" at Michael's. They were having a 50% off sale, so I picked up a few that will eventually become homes for other storybook miniatures. I started by gessoing the box, painting it with acrylics, and then applied a few layers of scrapbook paper and cardstock preprinted with the title. The whole piece was then sealed, stained and embellished with glass glitter. That stuff is so much fun to use, but ouch! Be careful with those sharp little shards!!! As for the inside.....





Pages of the story itself were decoupaged to the inside of the book. You can see how comfortably she fits in there !


I hope everyone enjoys looking at my finished Alice! I had so much fun with this one. My full time job has been so crazy lately...but I find creating and crafting, especially doll making, to be so therapeutic. I truly believe that it's one of the best stress busters and mood lifters out there! I think it's important to set aside time for yourself each day nurturing your creativity and pursuing your dreams. Even if it's only a 1/2 hour. It's like a workout for the mind. And we all need more exercise, right?


Next post I will be sharing pictures of more finished dolls. Thank you so much for all of your encouragement and comments!


31 comments:

deb said...

She's just beautiful!! And the work on the book box is amazing! So inspiring.

thank you for your nice comments on my blog too. Really means a lot. xxooo

Shabby in the City said...

Can I just come sit and play at your house awhile? Your skill at doll-making is unbelievable...You are another Nicol Sayre...are you famous? Do you have dolls in stores? And did you see the bear that Calamity Kim made?

BeachysCapeCodCupboard said...

WOW! Breathtakingly sweet and precious! I love how she fits inside the book, and that she has the White Rabbit to keep her company. Those are just amazing! What a talent you have! Can't wait to see the rest!

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Oh thanks you guys!!! Really that means so much!

Shabby, you are a doll, nope I am pretty un-famous! I do have some work in some shops in Minnesota, California and here in Arizona. I will go check out Calamity Kim made! She's amazing! And you are welcome over to play anytime!!! In fact you all are!!!

Thanks again, all of you lovely ladies, for your sweet and encouraging comments. I am so blessed to know you!!!

Sam I Am said...

Jenny...This is ADORABLE!!!!!! The book idea and her litte teapot and bunny are such sweet treats!!!! YOU ROCK GIRL!!!!

kimberly sherrod said...

well, thank you Shabby in the City- I am so happy that she hooked us up! I absolutely love your Alice, your faeries and your skill and style. Maybe we could work a little swaperoo out! Do you like aprons? Fake cakes? Mutant Veggie People? Please, oh, please can I know when you will be listing another thing??? do you Etsy? or just eBay? I see youv'e fallen under Jenny and Aaron's spell at the Holiday Everyday!!!! Aren't they wonderful? Thank you for stopping by and letting me know about your blog. I will add it to my sidebar and possibly maybe post about your stuff if you don't mind. Can I borrow a picture? Let me know! Calamity Kim

Tammy said...

Hi, I'm visiting your blog from TK Angels...I love it!!
come see me sometime if you would like!
:-D

ArtsyMama said...

Oh wow...I am totally in AWE! This is truly amazing!!!! Lovely work:)

Nostalgia at the Stone House said...

The detail to your work is incredible. You have a great talent and you must be a VERY patient person. Alice and her little friend are adorable.

Mica said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a wonderful piece!!! You outdid yourself completely. I love your delightful pieces to bits.!!!

Mica

Jill said...

Your little dolls and fairies are SO adorable! I love how you created The Alice In Wonderland book box for the doll to live in... very clever!

little lovelies said...

GASP!! She is sooooo cute!!!!!

Linda said...

I can't express how much I looooove your Alice, and of course the rabbit and the book. I am an Alice nut too, I am not sure why just a story and character I have always been taken with and the Lewis Carroll biography is a good read too!! thanks for your lovely comments you left for me!! I do love your blog your work is inspiring :o)

jenny holiday said...

Jenny you are Amazing!! my oh my!! I am just floored by your incredible talent!! So so so amazing!! I am so honored to be friends with such an amzing gal!!

Love it!!

xoxo Jenny

Marie said...

OH gosh! I am soooo in love with Alice! Alice is the name my family calls me. (There are too many Mary's and Marie's in my family so we all get called by our second names) You are such a talented lady. I so wish I could have one of these in my little corner of the kingdom. By the way I fell so in love with your little rose covered pitcher and basin that I took a gander at Vintage Home and ended up buying myself a lovely piece of hardanger...naughty me, but then again, lucky me for finding it!

TK Angels said...

She is beautiful!! You display her so wonderfully. I love the details and the Alice in Wonderland book.

You are just amazing. I love her and you..

Take care,
Love,
Terri

Garden Painter Art said...

Well, I've read all the other posts and it looks like they've said it all!!

Your Alice is truly fabulous! I love her striped socks and the whole set together is charming.

I hear through the grapevine that you'll be working on a Little Red Riding Hood... She's my favorite!! As a matter of fact, I'm working on a Little Red and Big Bad Wolf paper doll set right now. There's a picture of them in the works, on my blog.

Kim
Garden Painter Art
gnarly-dolls

carolyn said...

Oh she is beautiful and I love her "house" and pals. Looking forward to seeing who the other little dolls turn into. Thankyou for your kind words the other day.

Peta said...

Amazing, you are so talented :)

Ruth Welter said...

Ow Jenny, she is so beautiful...all of it, super job. You are very gifted.

Michelle said...

Jenny!!

LOVE, LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this set and their little book box too!!!

Blessings!
Michelle

Tootie said...

very nice!

ShoezyCakes said...

OMG, Jenny, once again, I am completely blown away. You are amazing, girl. Why hasn't eath angels picked you up yet? Seriously, you should send Jen some of your pictures. Just gorgeous, beautiful work!!

Susie Q said...

Oh how I am in love with this...
your creativity and talent is such a gift and just overwhelms me. When I am in the presence of true artists, it humbles me. You ARE an artist.
Just amazing work...priceless to those who have your work. And how envious I am of them! Perhaps I will be lucky enough to own a piece of yours some day!
Love,
Sue

Joyce said...

Oh my, Jenny! I am so flattered that you would leave such a sweet comment about my painting on my blog! I have been admiring your wonderful creations, and you are sooo very talented! I just love Alice and her book ~ Thanks so much for sharing your cute creations for everyone to see! Hugs to you, Joyce

mosaic queen said...

I am speechless!!!! So, so, so ADORABLE!!!!! I Love, I Love, I Love!!!!

wigglywourms said...

She's amazing. I used my last paper today (on a muffin of all things)...I looked at it and thought of Alice's gorgeous dress. You are amazing!

Cindy said...

Your work is absolutely amazing, I love all the details you put into each piece. You are so talented and creative!

shirley said...

This took my breath away. Alice, the white rabbit, the book...exceptional work.

Merci-Notes said...

oh so love your work!!! I also love your packaging of your work!!! That really finishes it!
With Kindness,
Mary

Jules said...

P.S Alice is my favourite also Dream but oh imagine is good i had a house once i named that this one is Brambly Cottage oh they are all so nice and straight from your heart to your hand i can see that\