Saturday, February 10, 2007

Vintage Valentines

Over the next few posts I plan to share pictures from an awesome Valentine lot I won on eBay.
The pages they came on were that type of golden, faded scrapbook paper, the kind that is so fragile, a touch will crumble it, not unlike a dried leaf. Beneath each card ( there were Birthday, Christmas and Get Well cards too), someone had written the date in black ink. All of the cards were given and received in the 1930's, but a few have copyright dates from the 1920's...
I absolutely adore these graphics.
This one is a mechanical. By moving the hat, the little girls eyes move back and forth. The recipient of this card pasted it in such a way that the mechanics would still function perfectly.




I just love this one. Inside, a nice little note was written to the recipient, Billy. Its asks teasingly, "Is this a picture of you and Mildred on a picnic?" Little did the author nor Billy know at that time that those words would be broadcast into cyberspace 70 years later!!!


Don't you love it when you come across and old picture or card that has writing in it? Especially when the message is cryptic, an inside joke between old friends, or a shared secret between sisters. Being a sentimental romantic, I am drawn to the mystery of it all.

10 comments:

carolyn said...

Just so cute!

deb said...

I just love those vintage valentines!

Thank you for the sweet compliments on my blog. I couldn't find your e-mail addy or I would have e-mailed you directly. :)

have a wonderful weekend!
xxooo

ArtsyMama said...

Absolutely adorable!!! I just came across some vintage Valentine's at an estate sale that I posted here http://artsymama.blogspot.com/2007/02/vintage-valentine-love.html
Just love all the little greetings!

Susie Q said...

Oh how wonderful and deliciously sweet the Valentine's are! And I LOVE your paper dolls...absolutely wonderful!

You are so talented!! I am in awe...
Have a wonderful weekend creative lady!
Hugs,
Sue

Marie said...

I absolutely adore these valentines! Takes me back to when I was a child. Oh, how I loved all my Valentines....

Clare said...

What beautiful cards,weren't the old designs the best?! I look forward to seeing more!

Thank you for your comment on my blog - yes! I ship to the States!

ShoezyCakes said...

Those are totally adorable :D A few years back when my Gramma died, she had envelopes full of stuff like that, I wish my Aunts would have saved it! Too Cute!

chelle said...

Okay, I nominate you for the " world's cutest blog-name ever" award.
And the only thing more sweet than a valentine, is a vintage valentine.

Tootie said...

These are absolutely adorable! Why can't they make Valentine's like this anymore?

Cherry Menlove said...

That was a great lot that you won on ebay. You must have been so excited when they arrived.

Cherry xx