Friday, February 16, 2007

On a Miniature Scale

One of my first loves as a kid was building dollhouses and making little people and things to inhabit it's small, magical world. In my mid-twenties, I rediscovered dollhouses and doll making through Maureen Carlson's awesome book How to Create Clay Characters, and later, the utterly fabulous James Carrington's 1/12 Scale Character Figures for the Dolls' House. Back then, my dolls were invariably constructed from polymer clays such as Fimo and Super Sculpey, and for my large scale Santas, I still work with that medium.


When I started playing with Creative Paperclay and paper mache, I always worked in a larger scale, creating folk art characters with more of a sense of 20th century "kitsch" (see goofy paper mache "Pumpkin Man" with the polka dotted tie below), rather than in the Victorian and primitive styles.

After participating the Vintage Dragonfly's Valentine paper doll swap , I was inspired to try making an altered art style pixie in miniature scale, with hand sculpted and hand painted features, and finished with a painted polka dotted crepe paper skirt, sheet music wings, sugary glass glitter, stripey-elfish stockings, lots and lots more glitter and antiquing washes. Hot off the the sculpting table...the little pixie below measures under 5 1/2 inches. I caught her this morning hiding in my Valentine's Day bouquet!!!

So now, in full swing miniature mode, I have been sculpting and painting (and will be wax dipping) these funny faces, which I plan to costume in the "Regency" style . This is the kind of thing that makes me really eager for the weekend to begin so that I can get started.


In the meanwhile, I'd love to get your thoughts on what I have here. I think I might be listing the mini Pixie on eBay eBay on Sunday night. I'll update if I do :-).



16 comments:

ShoezyCakes said...

She is really spectacular, I don't see how you can bear to part with her! Totally kwym about looking forward to working, I get the same way, its better than looking forward to vacation! Those look just so cute, I really love your work, Jenny!

sadie pink said...

What beautiful little cheeks! I can't wait to see them wax dipped. That process is something I haven't seen before. Several years ago I did mostly paper clay sculptures and I had the hardest time parting with some of them. Sometimes my children would fall in love with a particular character and they wouldn't let me put it on Ebay!
Sue

BeachysCapeCodCupboard said...

Oh my goodness if those aren't the sweetest faces I have ever seen!!!! You are soooo talented!

Have you ever tried selling your goodies on etsy? It is a website dedicated soley to selling handmade items (I sell my goodies there - if you ever have any questions about the site feel free to ask me). =)

chelle said...

Jenny, how magical. What a sweet, fanciful little lady! I can't wait to see how you doll up the rest of your mini-pixies...Today's visit has left me enchanted, thank you!

Tootie said...

Absolutely wonderful! Your sculpting is superb! I love to work with Creative Paper Clay as well. Can't wait to see what you do with the bunny face!

little lovelies said...

That is so cute! I love your pixies!

Ruth Welter said...

Jenny, these faces are fantastic, they have such character and warmth.you are very talented.

Susie Q said...

How absolutely delightful!! I LOVE these! I am so in love with your work dear Jenny!
You are such a talent and so creative! I can not say that enough!
Just magical...I can almost hear them chattering together.

Hugs,
Sue

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

You guys are all so encouraging! Thank you so much for your kindness!!! :-)

Pfatt Group said...

Oh man. I really have to have one of those fairy looking dollies. how may I aquire one???? It turned out gorgeous.P.s Thanks for the compliment on my son's banners. I was trying to exchange with ya, but can't find an e-mail addy. I added your banner to my site. Let me know how ti aquire one of those fairy's. Thanks sweets.

Mica

Marie said...

I just love your work. I used to make paper mache egg people. I truly loved the medium....I sure wish I had time to still do it....it's too bad work has to get in the way of having fun...sigh...you are so blessed.

TK Angels said...

Beautiful!! Let me know when you post her on e-bay. I collect angels and she sort of reminds me of an angel. Le me know if you will sell any directly. Love it!

Take care,
Terri

mosaic queen said...

I LOVE her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must check out your Ebay store!!!

Sam I Am said...

i just love looking at all of your creations... they always make me smile...
:) :) :)
hugs...sandy

jenny holiday said...

WOWWWW!! Jenny!! Look at this lil gal!! Incredible!!! Sooo sooo fabulous!! Really dazzling!!

Your are amazing!!!

Be sure to use some of these rose photos on eBay!!! Amazing!!

xoxo Jenny

Cannot wait to see what you will be doing with the rest!! : )

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

You are all so kind! I really fell in love with the process of making this little doll! And it's really encouraging to hear so many postive comments. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!