Monday, January 15, 2007

Nana



I think almost every person has had someone in their life that inspired them. For me, it is my Nana. Nana passed away on the 4th of July 2004. She was a painter, a sewer, the world's most fantastic cook and a strong Christian woman who drove herself to Bible study every week and went to church Sundays without fail. In Nana's desert garden, she could grow almost anything, oranges, tomatoes, even lavender!


When I was a teen, I spent time in the summer at my Nana's house in Tucson, Arizona. A typical day at Nana's invariably included a hot breakfast (with bran muffins... Nana was all about balance!), a trip to the thrift store, the library, and then the video store to rent wonderful old movies like The Shop Around the Corner and Meet Me in St. Louis. After a yummy lunch of sandwiches (with sprouts!), we'd go for a swim. An energetic person, Nana swam everyday, and went skiing for the first time of her life in her late 60's! In the late afternoon, Nana would put the kettle on, and we'd have shortbread cookies and cream in our tea. For dinner we'd get a pizza or Nana would whip up something wonderful, always, always, always followed by homemade cake! After dinner, we'd get comfortable in the family room and read, or watch movies. Sometimes, Nana and I would stay up past midnight immersed in conversation...she recalling life during the depression and the war, what is was like raising my dad and his brother and sisters in the 50's, choices she had made, both good and bad, our favorite books, even politics and religion.


I had a wonderful conversation with Nana a few months before she traveled to her "forever home". She knew, at that time, what she was facing, and looked forward to meeting up again with the friends (and my grandfather) that went before her. She was excited, curious and admitted her slight fear. A few weeks before July 4, 2004, she gave me the most beautiful Turquoise bracelet. The bracelet was an heirloom, handcrafted by a Native American artist from a local tribe that had been given to her by my grandfather decades before. It's amazing... the comfort that small bracelet grants me when I have had a bad day or am fearful in anyway (like when I fly!).

Nana's grace, courage and beauty inspire me daily to create, to pray, to show kindness, to relish the process of making meals for my family, to enjoy indulgent foods, but to balance that pleasure with vegetables and exercise. She was a women with a life well lived, full of friendship, spirituality, creativity and the people she loved.


Violet Adams
June 1924-July 2004

21 comments:

little lovelies said...

I think I would have loved your Nana, too. She was absolutely beautiful!

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Thank you so much! She was beautiful... I think anyone that met her fell in love :-)

Shirlee said...

I have wonderful memories of my Nana too (we called her Nanny). I really enjoyed reading your tribute and I love the picture of her with the hat on and the toes pointed. Shows what a fun gal she must have been. :)

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Thank you Shirlee! Aren't Nana's the best? She was fun! And I love those shoes!!!

Shabby in the City said...

I love your Nana. She sure lived life to the fullest...thats what I'm trying to do.

amanda bel said...

I hope that I will have the courage and strength to leave this world with grace and dignity, just like your Nana. Such a beautiful tribute to her. I know she's smiling down at you!

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Shabby in the City, I try to live that way too! Carpe Diem!

Thank you Amanda Bel.. I hope I make her proud :-)

jenny holiday said...

Ohhh what an incredible incredible incredible lady she was! Really really special! What a lucky girl you are!

Such a lovely post Jenny! Thanks so much for sharing Violet with us! : )

I adore the photos!!! and your beautiful words!!
xoxo Jenny

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Thank you Jenny! ((((hugs))))))

Nostalgia at the Stone House said...

This is a beautiful tribute.
Nannas are the best.

Jill said...

What a lovely tribute to your grandmother! When there's someone who has had such a positive influence on your life, you can't help but pattern yourself after her. How nice it would be to have the same tribute made to you by your grandchildren one day!

Sam I Am said...

Hi Jenny!!!
Im adding your blog to my blog... wanna exchange???
Love your site!!!
hugs..Sam
:)

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Nostalgia and Jill, Thank you so much for your sweet comments!

Sam I Am! Yes! I'll add you to my list as well! Thank you! :-)

Mica Garbarino said...

Oh wow !!! Thanks for sharing about your nana. The picture witht he rainbow is gorgeous. I found you through Sam I Am. Love your work too!!!

Mica/ Garb-oodles

http://garboodles.typepad.com/

Mica Garbarino said...

Thanks for sharing that. I love the photo of her and the rainbow. That is wonderful. Your work is sweet by the way.

Mica Garbarino/ Garb-oodles

http://garboodles.typepad.com/

Mica Garbarino said...

Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

Garb-oodles Soup

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Thank you Mica! I love your stuff too, its lovely! And your name!!! I love it!!!

Dorothy said...

What a beautiful and moving story. I think 'Nana' would love this! How fortunate you are to have these wonderful, vivid memories of her. Thank you for sharing.

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Thank you Dorothy! I hope I leave my own kids nd grandkids (someday) with good memories of me.

MJ said...

Reading about your Nana brought tears to my eyes & made me think (for a second time today!) about how my Grandmother has inspired me and given me more gifts than she could ever know or will now understand. Thanks for sharing!

Tootie said...

Your blog about your grandma gave me a lump in my throat. My grandma understood in a way that no others have since she passed away. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful tribute.